Topic Brainstorm

My first idea for a project would be to analyze each of the symbols in Hinduism and describe its deeper meaning. I was inspired by the video Symbols of Divinity as it briefly described some motifs in Hinduism, and I'll be sure to incorporate its information when researching for specific symbols. For my project, I'd be interested in taking a broader approach by analyzing the religious symbols associated with specific deities; I would want to connect these symbols to a story of the deity and highlight the meaning of each symbol as well as its potential applications and life-lessons. One symbol I would primarily analyze would be Om (or Aum) and the meaning behind each part of the religious icon. I'd also want to connect this symbol to the meditative practices of Hinduism as well as its role in prayers and religious ceremonies. I never realized how significant each aspect of the Om symbol is until I learned about the various meanings, and I'd love to learn more about the various symbols in Hinduism.

The Om symbol. Source: Pixy

My second idea for a project would be over Ganesha's various stories. Growing up, I was surrounded by many religious symbols within Hinduism, and Ganesha always stood apart. He acts as the remover of obstacles, is a patron of the sciences, and reflects intelligence as well as wisdom. I've always been drawn to his stories, and I relate to his love for laddoos. For this project, the comic book's narration of Ganesha's origin story is a promising source as it easily explains one of the most important stories of Ganesha. I'll also be sure to use Kamla Kapur's Ganesha Goes to Lunch to learn more about Ganesha's stories and re-tell it through my project.

 

My third idea for a project would be about Maya and the illusion of reality. I initially learned of this branch of Hindu philosophy through my reading of A.L. Basham's The Wonder That Was India, and a useful place to begin for the project would be learning more about the Advatia Vedanta school of philosophy. More specifically, I'd be interested in analyzing their ontological arguments by first exploring the ideas of Maya, the Ātman, and Brahman, before tying it together through the idea of levels of reality. Rather than exploring Maya through a narrative lens, I'd want my project to explore the philosophical implications and how spirituality and religious values in Hinduism produce a unique philosophical perpsective.


My fourth idea for a project would be about Diwali. I've celebrated a variety of Indian holidays, but I've always been told about the significance of Diwali. I believe it'd be interesting to research more about the  roots of the festival and how celebrations have varied across time. A great place to start would be the Wikipedia page for Diwali, which explains the history and cultural significance of the celebration. I'd include in the project a re-telling of the various Indian stories that explain the holiday's significance, including Krishna's killing of Narakasuru and Rama's return to Ayodhya. My project can explore the tales that make this holiday significant as well as an exploration of how Diwali changed over time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to Ish

Week 3 Story: Hanu the Dog