Feedback Thoughts

 The article "6 Hidden Downsides of Perfectionism" really demonstrated how detrimental perfectionism can become if it's not properly controlled. While I never struggled with procrastination, I did relate to the issue of disregarding my health and having issues delegating work to others. Oftentimes, I would stay up and work late in order to get ahead of classes and perfect all my work. I'd spend hours taking notes for no other reason than for it to be perfect. I realized that this approach to learning and working is extremely dangerous and unhealthy; it's crucial to maintain and stick by a healthy work-life balance. Furthermore, I needed to accept the risk of making a mistake or falling behind in order to develop this balance. This read re-affirmed my beliefs on the potential dangerous of unchecked perfectionism. While I appreciate my focus for details, it can become unhealthy and obsessive. I've become better at delegating work in groups and sticking by a schedule to make sure I have time to rest, and I know it's essential to keep working on it.


The article "You've Made a Mistake. Now What?" explains the process on growing and learning from mistakes. The way we teach and work often punishes mistakes, rather than using these mistakes as teachable moments to learn from and avoid. We've been conditioned to fear making mistakes, but now is the best time to take risks and learn from our mistakes. The article states that mistakes "contribute to organizational and personal learning; they are an essential part of experimentation and a prerequisite for innovation." In order to truly succeed, we need to be willing to make mistakes and be capable enough to learn from them. I especially appreciated the case studies provided by the article. The case study with Katie Silberman's mistake with a wrong date really resonated with me, as I've made a few mistakes with deadlines for homework and projects. I've found that being honest with your mistakes and keeping an accurate calendar really helps, and Katie's experience demonstrates the value in these lessons. All in all, this read made me more comfortable with the idea of mistakes and how to learn from them. 


A math mistake. Source: Pixabay


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comment Wall

Introduction to Ish

Week 3 Story: Hanu the Dog